Just last week I was freaking out to my dad on the phone because it felt like I had walked myself down a cul-de-sac of decisions in reference to grad school. Usually considered a dead end, the cul-de-sac in the round part of a street where a car is forced to about face and travel back to where it came from. This was a great analogy for the excitement that had lead me to the current choices I was making. I panicked because I realized I had hit a dead end. I didnt like some of the decisions that I had made and realized that I wanted to back up. But, I asked myself if going back where I just was created any solutions. Sometimes the end of something important, like a career, a relationship, or a road is actually the beginning.
When one reaches the cul-de-sac it is time to park the car, get out and travel on foot. Where the car can no longer navigate, the feet can still make steps. The obvious solution to the end of the line is not the only solution available. Instead of going backwards I need to continue moving forward. I will no longer have the sheild of the car to protect me from the elements but that does not slow my travels. With pockets full of knowledge and maybe a new pair of Nikes, the trek begins.
"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose"
No comments:
Post a Comment